|Can't you just envision these pattern pieces and muslins as a red-plaid princess-seamed shirt?|
All four pattern pieces have a muslin attached. My next step is to transfer the seam lines onto the muslin, before I begin basting.
I drew those seam lines onto the pattern, based on the measurements I took from the sleeveless Western Winds shirt, which I created from this same pattern (altering to create a sleeved version as well as getting a good fit for me). I've really enjoyed wearing Western Winds and got quite a lot of late summer/early fall use out of that shirt - of course here in California it stays warm longer than much of the U.S.
For Western Winds, I cut back the top of the shoulder towards the neck, but I've dropped that back in place for this sleeved version. My new pattern includes lines for both sleeved and sleeveless versions. I cut with room for either version, then use my clover wheel to lay down the armscye lines, then cut away what I don't need for the particular version I'm making.
For more description, see my previous post- Sleeved to Sleeveless.
There's a good chance I'll be making a few more changes to the muslin, and therefore pattern, before I snip into that red plaid. I also plan to re-test the new pattern on another sleeveless version, sometime over the next few months. Tried and true patterns take a while to get just so, but they sure are worth their weight in gold.
|I store in-progress muslins and pattern pieces clipped onto binder clips hanging off cup hooks. That way they don't get wrinkles in between sewing sessions, and they all stay together.|